Tuesday, September 11, 2012

SARK TUESDAY: Celebrating Mistakes

MTO Forest Path Grabouw, South Africa
SARK:  From our "mistakes" comes some of our richest material for our creative dreams.  Every mistake is a teacher and can lead to new success....

MMinP:  What do you say about mistakes?  They are REQUIRED.  How does the quote go? "if you aren't making mistakes your aren't living" (If you know the owner of who said that please let me know?).  There is also the great quote:"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

I remember asking my mom if she could make me a dress that I could see in my imagination.  I couldn't find a pattern for it even after ages of searching the catalogues (yes - the days before search engines - can you imagine!!).  She told me it couldn't be done.  I was really frustrated.  I had loads of these experiences throughout my life.  What I've learned is that ANYTHING can be done.  It's a matter of putting in the effort to find the way.  I think at that point in time my mom - to her credit - realized it was an adventure she wasn't willing to embark on being a working mother etc.

I would like to encourage you to explore Edna Fourie's gallery and story.  Amazing to say the least.  You can find it here.  I walked into this gallery and felt something so strong I can't explain.  There were two paintings so moving that I found myself in tears.  Both had a similar beginning - the canvases had been left in the attic where owls decided to roost.  They were soiled with owl poo.  What a mistake... ?? Ms Fourie saw something in the markings and decided to paint on them anyway.  I love this "mistake".

I think they should be called mini-searches.  Mistakes are more like moving searches in our steps forward up the mountain of realizing our dreams.

How are you feeling about your mistakes these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment