Friday, March 16, 2012

Drawing Resources: Pose Maniacs

Starting today I will be sharing my research findings on everything "how to" art/writing/creating.  This won't be a regular posting as it is time dependent and resource dependent.  There are many great on-line sites that will teach you how to draw or paint or write (a children's book for example).

I will keep a page with the resources listed and I will organize them for us.

So today - Pose Maniacs. From the website:   Pose Maniacs supports all artists, including art students and people who study illustrations and mangas on your own. This blog is for uploading variety of poses for nude sketching, and introduces other FLASH training tools for drawing. Some donation enables me to make English version. Thanks alot


It seems to be a Japanese site (English not being the strongest point.)  I'm not going to get into the technical portions of it because I'm just not able to do that!  There are many sites that explain HOW they do it and what the software is etc.

I posted about Pose Maniacs previously.  At the time I was focused on the adult form and mostly just getting my "figure drawing" up to scratch.

Post Maniacs Gives:


  • timed drawing sessions of varying times : ie 30sec poses.
  • organized options of male/female/child/bodybuilder/dancing/running/ etc etc
  • figures are offered in anatomical view - you see muscles and bony landmarks - no skin.
  • negative space drawing
  • random pose viewer
  • there is an iphone app available


Pose Maniacs runs on donations - so it is a free resources, (thank you says the student in me!)

I downloaded the app but it doesn't seem to work nicely on my phone.  I've not managed to update it though so it might work great now.

I practiced every day for 10minutes a day - increased to 30minutes a day - for over two months.  My drawing improved greatly.

Downside:  Posemaniacs wouldn't be perfect as there can be some questionable poses that 1. might appear unnatural.  2. might have the weight distributed incorrectly and 3. there's no skin!

Up side: Posemaniacs is brilliant for learning to see and observe to record what you are seeing in a relatively time efficient manner.

They appear to be social media oriented so you should be able to find them in a medium that suits you.

Here's to you improving your skills or finding resources for a painting!  Let me know how you liked this resource.  I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment